Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Scripps Institution of Oceanography

William E. Ritter (1856-1944) was a zoologist at the University of California in Berkeley when he decided that his life’s work was to found a marine biological station on the west coast.

It was then he met Edward Willis Scripps (1854-1926) and his sister Ellen Browning Scripps (1836-1932).  Edwards was the owner of many so-called penny newspapers in the United States, designed to bring news to the general public, was also a yachtsman who sought relaxation at sea.

While Ellen Browning, was a major benefactor in the San Diego are and beyond (hospital, college, science and other projects).

The Scripps family provided almost all of the operating funds for the station from 1903 to 1912. The name of the station was Marine Biological Association of San Diego (1903-1912) and Scripps Institution for Biological Research (1912-1925).

The station began in 1892 as a portable laboratory-in-a-tent.  Its first permanent buildings were erected in 1905 on a site purchased with funds donated Scripps family.

From 1912, when the station became part of the University of California, until their deaths, E.W Scripps and Ellen Browning Scripps matched the state support for the institution.

E. W. Scripps personally donated over forty thousand dollars. He donated his yacht as the institution’s first ship, the E. W. Scripps.

He initiated the idea of operating a pulse aquarium at the station and he convinced Ritter to purchase the one hundred and seventy acre pueblo lot in La Jolla where the institution stands today.

The first chemical laboratory at the Scripps Institution of Oceanography was founded by Erik G. Moberg in 1930. This was the beginning of a tradition of excellence on chemical oceanography and marine chemistry that continuous to the present.

By October 1925 its name was change to Scripps Institution of Oceanography.
Scripps Institution of Oceanography

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

The most popular articles

Other posts

  • Apart from the food components that trigger the taste, odor and trigeminal impressions, there are some components that are capable of supplementing, enhanc...
  • Pacific Coast Condensed Milk Company (later renamed the Carnation Milk Company) was established by Elbridge Amos Stuart at an existing factory located in K...
  • Drexel, Morgan & Co. was established in 1871 and in 1895 it helped finance the Federal Reserved during the depression of that year. The new merchant bankin...

History | Smithsonian