Friday, April 20, 2018

History of Bronx

On 1 Jan 1898, the Annexed district of New York City became the Borough of the Bronx. Paleo-Indian arrived in the area about 12,000 years ago. At the time of European contact, there were several settlements of Algonquin speaking bands in the area of what become Bronx.

The Bronx acquired its name only after the present borough became part of New York in 1895. Although technically named after the river, the name indirectly honors the first recorded European settler, Jonas Bronck.

In 1639 Jonas Bronck, a sea captain born in Sweden and rising in the Netherlands, was the first European settler, along with his Dutch, German and Danish. He arrived in New Netherland in 1639, farmed some six hundred acres in what is the Mott Haven section, and his tract was known as Bronck’s Land.

By 1846, population in the western Bronx had increased so much that the Town of West Farms was created. West Farms, originally a village on the Bronx River, had become an important manufacturing center due to its water-powered mills.
History of Bronx
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

The most popular articles

Other posts

  • The sweet taste of cyclamates was discovered serendipitously by Sveda in 1937 and they were introduced commercially in the 1950s. Today, cyclamic acid in t...
  • David Buick, a plumbing parts producer has started the company bearing his name, but was unable to make it profitable. In 1903, he built his first car in D...
  • In the mid 1880s the United States of America was not a naval power. After the cessation of the Civil War, ships were allowed to rot as the national focus ...